What is a subdivision?
A subdivision is the splitting of a parcel of land described on a certificate of title. A subdivision occurs when a single land title is split into two or more parts, property boundaries are rearranged, or a lease, mortgage or other instrument is registered that has the eﬀect of subdividing the parcel.
Subdivisions must be approved by both the Municipal Council and the subdivision Approving Authority.
Subdivisions must conform to:
- the Development Plan in effect for the jurisdiction in which the subdivision is located – View Here
- the provisions of the district-wide or individual municipal zoning by-law 2019-3
- the Provincial Subdivision Regulations MR. 137/2006
How do I subdivide my land?
See Guide to the Subdivision Process
Subdivision applications are to be submitted to the Community & Regional Planning Office
Brandon Community & Regional Planning Office
Unit 1B, 2010 Currie Blvd, Brandon, MB R7B 4E7
How long does the subdivision process take?
The subdivision process takes approximately 6 months from the date of submission of a fully completed subdivision application to the date of Conditional Approval (if approved by Council and the MWPD Board). Upon issuance of the Conditional Approval letter, applicants have 24 months to fulfill all conditions.
How much will it cost to subdivide my land?
Please contact the Community & Regional Planning Office for current subdivision fees.
Other costs to consider when applying for a subdivision include:
- Surveying costs;
- Costs associated with obtaining any conditional use orders or variation orders that may be required;
- Costs associated with any zoning by-law amendments or development agreements that may be required;
- Costs associated with providing any additional information that may be required as part of the subdivision review (such information may include septic field suitability studies, drainage and topographic information or supply and demand analyses);
- Costs to register the new parcels created by the subdivision as per The Land Titles Fee Registration under The Real Property Act.